Art and Design at Gateway Primary School
At Gateway Primary School we value Art and Design as an important part of our exciting broad and balanced curriculum.
We believe that Art is a subject that offers hands on learning and opportunities for all. As well as developing core skills such as drawing, printing, painting and sculpting, artists have opportunities to explore and express their thoughts and ideas.
Throughout the curriculum artists will be engaged, inspired and challenged, whilst being equipped with skills enabling them to create their own explorations and masterpieces. The provision of Art is designed to challenge abilities and aptitudes and aims to motivate the children to express their own ideas through creativity from their own personal starting point.
There are many opportunities throughout the school year to have work displayed and shared within the community and our annual Art Week provides a week of exploring new skills and of celebration.
Art offers children an opportunity to:
- Acquire and develop skills progressively with opportunities to practise and refine them.
- Learn how to use a range of materials and media to create effects and desired outcomes.
- Follow and explore ideas whilst focus on improving skills and aspects of their own pieces: describing what they have done; observing the works of others and to use what they have learnt to improve the quality and control of their work.
- Develop a knowledge and understanding of art in history.
- Receive teaching which ensures that when 'evaluating and improving ', connections are made between prior learning and new skills.
Art lessons at Gateway allow children to:
- Develop skills to enable them to become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- Recognise their own strengths and areas for further development.
- Make mistakes, try new things, explore and improve.
- Share their discoveries and learning.
- Respond to a variety of challenges using a range of media and materials.
- Become skilful and thoughtful artists.
- Develop positive attitudes.
- To share their accomplishments, having work displayed for all to see.
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
When possible, we embrace the opportunities of a cross curricular approach to teaching and learning in Art so make links to current topics that are being taught.