Design and Technology
D.T. at Gateway Primary School
At Gateway Primary School we believe that Design and Technology provides a very practical and creative subject, which gives children the opportunity to use their problem-solving skills and inspire a creative outlook, which is essential for giving these children practical life skills. This allows children to use a range of skills including their art, computing, science and mathematical knowledge. DT helps children develop more of an understanding of technology and will allow the children at Gateway to have life-long practical life skills.
D.T. offers children an opportunity to:
- Acquire and develop technical, creative and practical skills needed to do everyday tasks confidently and be able to contribute successfully with the increasing demand of the everchanging technological world.
- Learn to apply a fountain of knowledge and skills in order to design, create and apply high-quality products, which have been thought out with increasing care and are able to explain how to use it to a wider community.
- Evaluate their own work and critique things they would want to change, through testing the product and comparing it to the work of others.
- Develop opportunities to learn how to cook and prepare food. Cooking a range of dishes from different cultures and extending the children’s understanding of food from around the world.
- Receive teaching which ensures that it inspires creative children in a practical manner and who are able to take risks and feel capable to do so.
D.T. lessons at Gateway allow children to:
- Develop their problem-solving skills and give them the opportunity to take risks.
- Children are able to take risks in their own learning and make links to real life experiences.
- Evaluate their own work and think about the effectiveness of methods and resources.
- Develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world.
- Understand principles of healthy and varied diets to prepare dishes.
- Create design criteria to make appealing products that are fit for purpose.
- Handle and use a wider range of tools and equipment to perform practical tasks.
- Understand how key events and individuals have helped to change DT.
- Become innovative, resourceful and creative individuals.